Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stock Market Volatility

You all know the story by now... the Dow gapped down 464 points at the open and then rallied madly back for the next hour and a half.

It nearly went positive for chrissakes!

Then it based for the rest of the day and churned unsuspecting traders into a head spinning oblivion. Unfortunately I was one of those traders. I gave back half of my profits from 11 to 4.

I'm still trading small size and still getting used to my system. I've been using more limit orders lately, but this morning I should have used market orders. I missed a lot of good trades because stocks just went straight up that first half hour and my limit orders were never hit.

I've been trading 9 years and I'm still learning... go figure.

Anyway, I'm shot. Immediately after the close we went out with a group of friends who all have 3 year olds... If the market doesn't finish me off, surely the 3 year olds will.

Here's the stats:

P&L, $1707
Best, BBD, $451
Worst, AG, -$208

51,200 shares traded.
32 stocks traded. 19 winners, 13 losers.

No comments: