Friday, August 15, 2008

Living Manliness

This morning, after I went surfing, I stopped to get some coffee. I was feeling charitable, so I picked one up for Judy as well.

When I got to the counter to pay, I even decided to pick up a blueberry and banana smoothie for my daughter. I was in a really good mood.

Anyway, so I had two large coffees and a smoothie. I paid, and the woman asked me if I wanted a carrying tray.

"No thanks," I said. "I got it." I felt really green, and I could see that my masculinity was almost too much for the woman to bear... I stacked the three cups and head for the door.

My car was probably 200 feet from the coffee shop. It became clear to me as I walked down the steps, that the cups were in a rather precarious position and that the bottom of the paper coffee cup was digging uncomfortably into my thumb.

But I soldiered on, carrying the cups in that position, through the pain, and even managed to smile at a couple of people as I passed. I could see, by the expressions on their faces, that they thought I was one "bad customer" carrying the cups like that.

When I got to the car, there was an indent in my thumb. I didn't even complain about it much to myself in my head. I just told myself, "shit like that happens to tough guys" and I got in my car and drove home, ready to battle the markets.

Dinosaur Trader... trader, tough guy.

8 comments:

bloggerdotcom said...

Beautiful piece.

Dinosaur Trader said...

Thank you. A tearjerker for sure.

-DT

Solfest said...

It give us all hope just knowing you are out there.

Ragin' Cajun said...

lol, this post is the reason i vist your blog.

Dinosaur Trader said...

Thanks guys.

Ragin, I'm here to entertain you while you bank coin.

-DT

Bluedog said...

lmao. Nice work, DT! Soldier on!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for a paper cut post. Pure gold.

S. Urista said...

DT is alive and well. There is hope for us all.

I weep for our future...