Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Surfing, Doctor's and Moths, Oh My!

I left the house at 5am today to get to the break early. The summer crowd has largely dispersed and when I arrived at the beach there was only one guy out in the water, barely visible in the dull pre-sunrise light. The waves were small, maybe waist-high with some slightly larger peaks to be found. The winds were from the west, so it was a little choppy. I had a good session and got home by 8:30 to find my wife and daughter eating breakfast.

I got to my screens but didn't do much research. I knew I'd only be placing one trade because I wanted to go to Judy's doctor's appointment. I read that AG was upgraded and that DE had it's estimates raised. So I placed one trade this morning. I bought 200 shares of DE at $136.86 and then head out to the doctor's office with my wife.

There was good news on a couple of fronts. First, the doctor wasn't too alarmed by her extremely high fever from the weekend and basically said that as long as she's hydrated and not hallucinating that fever isn't a big problem and just the body's way of fighting illness. They took some blood and will be testing her for all the tick-borne diseases.

We got home and my Dad showed up to watch our daughter so that Judy could rest and I could trade. I turned on my screens and was happy to see my DE position up a couple of points. So I was able to feel like a good husband and still make money. Very nice.

So I was eating my lunch, looking at all the good stuff I missed (specifically the fertilizers) when my wife called from downstairs, "There are moths in the rice."

As you probably know, I'm a birder. I search rare birds out and I also feed the more common ones in my backyard. I have 20 pound bags of sunflower seed and peanuts in a downstairs closet. A few weeks back, I noticed lots of moths in this closet. About 2 days ago, I noticed that they were eating the bird seed. Freaky, right? Like out of the movies. I threw all the seed out and figured I had solved the problem.

Nope...apparently, they have invaded our human food supply too. When I went downstairs we found them in basically any bag that contained anything "grainy." These moths love quinoa.

So that has been my day thus far. Not an ideal way to come back from vacation, but I'll take the easy trade in DE for now and hope to be more active in the afternoon session.

Thanks all for putting up with the sub-par and spotty blogging of late. I should be back now.


dg.morris said...

I don't know if you ever trade WFR but the stock got hammered today on some bullshit news about a power outage at one of its facilities. I don't know how far it will fall but it is already WAY overdone. Should bounce nicely when the shorts get done. Glad to hear your wife is OK. Take care.

artha said...

Hi DT,

I'm glad to hear your wife is doing better. I hope she fully recovers soon.

A few years back, our pantry was invaded by moths. It may have been a bag of contaminated rice. In any case, make sure there are no larvae in your closet.

Good luck.

Attitude Trader said...

Best wishes from here.


Dinosaur Trader said...

Thanks guys, for the well wishes.

Hopefully with a couple of days more rest she'll be good. We're lucky our family is relatively close and can drive out for the day to help.

Again, thanks. I'll have to ask her to write about the fever when she's all mended.


Dinosaur Trader said...


Thanks for the heads up on WFR. I love oversold stocks. I'll keep an eye on it. I have him up on my screen anyway grouped in with the solar stocks.